Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD on a HP9000/300 machine
To: None <david@iximd.com, port-hp300@netbsd.org>
From: ML <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 08/14/2001 08:43:00
Greetings,

>HP300 Server (w/Rev. D BootPROM, SCSI, HPIB, AUI-NET, BNC-NET, RS-232)
>1 1GB Conner SCSI Hard Drive at SCSI-ID 1(w/Maybe a DOS, Win95 Part.)
>1 Toshiba 2x SCSI CD-ROM at SCSI-ID 2
>1 200 (or 700) MB HP-IB Hard Drive (w/HP-UX Installed and operating.  Don't
>know what version & don't know the admin password.  I can get in as guest
>though.)
>
>Idea:
>I would like to have the machine hooked to the CD-ROM and SCSI HD.  Installing
>from a Bootable CD-ROM to the HD.
Well,...

>QESTIONS:
>1. What are my options to install NetBSD (Bootable CD-ROM, Install from a HD
>Part., Network install, Bring up HP-UX and copy the files needed (across the
>network) to the SCSI HD, Copy files needed to the SCSI HD on a x86, Etc.)?
It's certainly possible to make a hp300 bootable CDROM but as far as I know no one did it so far.
I guess your options are either booting the network bootblock from a HPIB floppy and do the rest vie NFS or set up rbootd on another machine and
do the rest via NFS.

>2. Does the CD-ROM & HD need to be on certain SCSI-ID's?  If so Which ones?
That depends on your BootPROM revision - most of them scan the SCSI bus from 0 to 6 so your boot device should be 0, but rumors say that some
versions scan 6 to 0. My 345 has Rev. D and scans from 0 to 6.

>3. BEFORE the "Searching for System MODE" should the machine bring ANY info. up
>on the screen about finding SCSI devices.?
No. It just lists its internal stuff ( frame buffer, SCSI-, HPIB-, serial and network interfaces and so on ), tests the memory and then begins to look for
something it can boot ( AFAIK first network, then SCSI and finally HPIB but that's just my observation, needn't be true ) At least SCSI and network
seem to overlap since it finds my remote boot server almost instantly, just like the internal HD but it takes a while to find my ZIP at ID 6.

>4. Durning the "Searching for System MODE" it seems as if the machine isn't
>even ATTEMPTING to GLANCE at the SCSI HD or CD-ROM for a system?
It takes a while for the PROM to scan the bus, especially when your devices have the 'wrong' IDs. ( see 2. for what I mean with 'wrong' )

>5. Durning the "Searching for System MODE" I have found the follwing keys to
>work:
>
>c <RETURN>  =  Config MODE (For Selcet codes, Interrupt, SCSI-ID(FOR SCSI
>CARD), PARTIY(FOR SCSI CARD), & Local/Remote(FOR RS-232) for all Soft-config
>interfaces)
>
>p <RETURN>  =  Pause "Searching for System MODE"
>
>l <RETURN>  =  Resets machine
>
>t <RETURN>  =  Test MODE (Extended, Continous, and Memory)
>
>-Are there any other keys I can use (For Rev. D BootPROM)?
Yes. On all (?) hp300 will stop automatic boot when you hit the space bar several times while the machine checks it's internal hardware, it will present
a menu with all bootable devices it finds instead of booting the first.
You can reset the machine with the Reset key on your HIL keyboard ( sometimes with shift, sometimes you need to press it several times, but it
should generally work. Watch the bottom line for hints )

hope that helps
Michael