Subject: Re: HPIB tape drives
To: jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com, Chris Collet <chris.collet@mail.com>
From: Chris Collet <chris.collet@mail.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 08/01/2001 22:14:50
I set up netboot yesterday and got the 9000 to boot NetBSD. The 7980 and 7978 work, but only sometimes. For one, I couldn't write anything to them even though I write enabled the tapes. Two, about 50% of the time I tried to access a tape it would panic and reboot. The 7978 can do both 1600 and 6250, or at least it looks that way. I'm not very familiar with tape drives and NetBSD, so you'll have to give me specific examples of what you want me to try. Also, all the tapes I have were from my PDP-11, so they're all formatted at 1600 (although the labels claim they can do 6250). I tried using mt erase to clear them but that caused another panic. Right now they're connected to the slow HPIB controller, but I can give it a try on the fast one, too.  The HP 3000 is a 947. The main hard disk is sort of dead plus I don't know the account password, so It's more or less useless until I can find tapes of MPE/iX.
   Chris.