Subject: Re: HPIB tape drives
To: Chris Collet <chris.collet@mail.com>
From: None <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 08/01/2001 15:47:58
On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 02:12:51AM +0800, Chris Collet wrote:
> Sure, I'd be glad to help. Do you care at all if the 7978 works? Because I also got
> one of those. I managed to pick up both tape drives along with an HP 3000 at a
> surplus auction for 70 bucks. The only problem is that I'm not sure if I want to go
> ahead and put NetBSD on my only HPIB hard disk and lose HP/UX. I recall reading
> somewhere that you could boot NetBSD off floppy, so I might try that or netbooting.
>  In either case, I'll be sure to post the results of trying the 7980 and 7978.
> I'd also try out my 9144 tape drive, but I don't have any tapes for it.

The 7978 is probably 1600bpi ? It'd be fun to know :) The easiest thing you could
do is (in case you don't want to lose HP-UX) just netboot NetBSD if your machine
supports that. I'd really like to know if those drives worked and I'd *really*
like to know if you can get them streaming or working with fast HP-IB.

The 9144 tapes are a bit difficult to find. I have close to 50 of them but all
of them contain OS or software distributions and I don't want to overwrite them :)

OT: what 3000 model ?
--
jht