Subject: Re: Hello I'm new here and have some questions
To: None <David@ixibbs.iximd.com>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 03/11/2001 12:24:19
At 4:06 PM -0400 3/9/01, you wrote:

:)1. Which model do I have (320 or 330)?

Sounds like a 330.

:)2. Where can I get some config info. about the 700/41 terminals?

Try some of the newsgroups, like comp.sys.hp.hardware and comp.sys.hp.hpux.
Those folks are often pretty helpful.

:)3. I get the scramble problem with both Hyper Terminal AND the 700/41
:)terminal. I tried ANSI, VT52, and VT100 on both with no luck.

So, the terminal doesn't have an "HP" mode?  It must be pretty new (i.e.
less than 10 years old).

:)I would like to use Hyper Terminal but if that
:)won't work then I could use the 700/41 if I had the right setup info.
:)(It seems like whereever the junk code is is where a <enter> should go.

Actually, the terminal will work fine after the system is booted.  NetBSD
assumes vt100.  It's just during the boot ROM configuration steps that
you'll have to deal with the unrecognized escape codes.

>68851 MMU (I don't know if this is the MMU chip or not, if you know please
tell
> me)

Yes, this is the MMU.  I think the 320 used an HP MMU.  I guess the 330
uses a real Motorola MMU.

> 98642A 4 Port Async Mux (I have a total of three of these)

You could probably sell or trade those.  They're somewhat rare, and some
people like using their HPs as serial consoles for their collection of
other unix machines.

> 82335 ISA HP-IB Interface card for an IBM-PC compatible (I don't have any
> software to run this)

I think I might have the software for these, *but* they are not going to be
as useful as you think they are.  They're for running HP-BASIC programs to
control instruments (such as oscilloscopes and multimeters), and not for
accessing HP computer hardware (such as tape drives and hard drives).

> CABLE THAT GOES TO THE FAST HP-IB OPTION CARD (so I can hook my HP-IB drives
> to the fast card instead of to the slower connector)

Hmmm.  I forget.  I may have the schematics for that board on my website
<http://www.blobulent.com/hp300>, but you'd probably have to solder a new
cable onto the fast HP-IB option card.

> Graphics board that would work with NetBSD/X-Windows
> Monitor (If the graphics card is cannot in no way use a standard VGA/SVGA
> connector monitor

NetBSD/hp300's X server is not very good.  You're probably much better off
with eXceed on your win98 machine.  None of the hp300 framebuffers use VGA
cables.  At the very least you'ld need a VGA to BNC cable, but that doesn't
guarantee that it'll work.  The color framebuffers use sync-on-green, which
not all VGA monitors support.

> One of either floppy drive units (would prefer it to be a dual drive unit
but
> it doesn't have to be)

These are nigh useless.  They don't read normal format 1.4 MB or 720 MB
floppies.  NetBSD doesn't support them.  HP-UX supports them, but only for
storing LIF format data.

Good luck,
  -- MW