Subject: Re: DDS driver in netbsd1.5
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 03/05/2001 09:20:52
On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 06:01:20PM -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Mar 2001, Chris Rupnik wrote:
>
> Tape drives don't have block devices--they have character devices.

Except for the HP 9144/9145 and friends. That's why were stuck with
those HCD tapes. Try booting a /500 with a mkrs-tape and typing "ls".
The tape swirls around for a few minutes and if the drive is OK you
"might" get a listing of the files.

Anyway, I think that the block-device capability only exists in HP-UX.

> /dev/rst0, /dev/nrst0, etc.  See the st(4) man page for an explanation of
> the different device files available; the actual filenames are shown in the
> "FILES" section toward the end.

I hate tapes. I just found out I have massive file corruption on my
2GB RAID0 partition and I don't know whether it's the disks, exabyte or
dump. All the files are there but they're slightly corrupted. I think
I need dump with a built-in md5 integrity checker..

--
jht