Subject: Re: 425e and the boot prom
To: None <port-hp300@netbsd.org>
From: None <CaptnZilog@aol.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 02/18/2001 10:13:30
> > some time ago (or rather more years ;) someone offered up to read the 425e
> > boot prom if it were shipped to them. Is this person still around
> > somewhere? I'm still willing to ship the little thing, if someone can read
> > those things. And I've still got a working 425e to ship to developers, if
> > someone is interested in implementing framebuffer *HINT HINT* ;)

Ahhh.. that would have been me.

Sorry about that... at the time, I opened up the machine and discovered that
the 425e boot prom, at least in my machine (and I presume all of them) is a
PLCC type chip and not a standard DIP IC type.  I don't have an adaptor for
my prom programmer to be able to read these.

However, I do happen to have gotten a PLCC type socket that will hold it in
the meantime, and have been meaning to wire up some kind of adaptor.  Gotta
dig up my data book so I know how the PLCC pinouts map to the DIP pinouts,
and hook the thing up.  (all the places I've seen adaptors, they want like
$150+ for one of them, and I just don't feel like spending that kind of money
for a damn socket adaptor).

Once I get it, its a simple prospect to run it through my IDA-PRO
disassembler and get you both the binary image and a disassembled image.
Then the fun begins..  figuring out what it all does and commenting it.  :-)

Let me dig out my databook and see what I can wire up...

Pete