Subject: Re: switch to ELF
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jarkko Hermanni Teppo <jate@UWasa.Fi>
List: port-hp300
Date: 01/02/2001 10:06:12
On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 03:53:06PM +1100, Simon Burge wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I've just committed some changes to convert the hp300 port to ELF.
> With the COMPAT_AOUT_M68K kernel option, all your old a.out binaries
> should still work.  Note that a.out versions of ifconfig(8) and
> route(8) will _not_ work due to some structure alignment problems.
> The instructions that Steve Woodford put together for the mvme68k
> should also apply as far as building the toolchain - look at
> ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mvme68k/README.ELF-UPGRADE
>
> I'm starting a build of a complete snapshot, but it will still be a
> couple of days away...  To get people started, I'll upload the basics
> to get started (a kernel, new bootblocks and route/ifconfig binaries)
> as soon as a GENERIC kernel finishes building.

This is very cool! I wasn't expecting hp300 to go ELF so soon after
mvme68k, I was expecting something like a couple of months.

btw, I'm definitely waiting for the snapshot as my feeble attempts at
building one failed miserably on (I was going from 1.5 to current):

1. Twice panic'ed with bad_dir(), and since I was in X (XhpBSD) the
   keyboard didn't respond with ddb. No core.
2. Couple of panics with softdep, worklist_remove().

After that my root disk was hosed properly and it was faster to reinstall
than to mess with all the files in /lost+found. After re-install I was
sure *not* to have softdeps enabled in /etc/fstab but when mounting a cd
# mount -t cd9660 /dev/sd3c /cdrom

I got the softdep worklist_remove panic again. I'll try to panic it again
and maybe file a proper PR. I *want* softdeps ( & UBC) to work, as
disk ops on hp300 aren't exactly optimal :).

It does not panic on kernels without "options SOFTDEP".

This was just a FYI if someone else is seeing frequent panics.

> If there are any problems, please send-pr them.  I should be on the
> hp300 list by now, but if you send something their and I don't answer
> in a day or so please sent it to me privately.
>
> Many thanks must go to Steve Woodford for doing all the initial work
> in converting mvme68k to ELF!

Seconded, and thanks for the work!

--
jht