Subject: Re: Printer
To: None <port-hp300@netbsd.org>
From: Gerard Pietersen <icarus@dse.nl>
List: port-hp300
Date: 09/22/2000 10:11:46
 >Well, as long as ppi is configured to the kernel the messages will show,
 >with or without the printer/plotter. See man ppi for details. The
 >ppi-devices can't be probed so you have to explicitly define them.
 >
 >Now all that's left for you is to find some dip-switches or something
 >similar and check that they are set to bus-address 5 on the Paintjet.
 >If you are lucky it's already set to 5, since that seems to be some
 >kind of a default for printers/plotters.

 Hmm.. the only dip-switches i could find, are for selecting paper and
 prints style (at least on the outside)

 >And after quickly checking MAKEDEV it seems that it knows nothing about
 >/dev/ppi, so you probably have to make it with mknod. Probably something
 >like
 ># mknod /dev/ppi c 11 0

 When i use this devices to print, my HP almost freezes it becomes very
 slow, but it still works. And my printer doesn't do a thing, maybe this is
 'cause i could find the dip-switches, so it could be set on the wrong
 adress.

 >I'd be interested in knowing whether it works or not...
 >
 >--
 >Jarkko Teppo
 >jate@uwasa.fi

 But i'll keep on trying :) i'll let you know when it works.

 Gerard