Subject: using an X server on a remote machine
To: None <port-hp300@netbsd.org>
From: maket0 <ogd116@aquaos.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 08/03/2000 09:50:59
Hello,

I am running a Celeron machine with Linux (RedHat 6.2) and it is running
X. Now I am trying to use it from my HP 9000/360 running NetBSD 1.4.1. The
x86 machine is exporting all the necessary directories properly, is
forwarding packets properly and in general everything works
(network-wise) from my HP. However any time I start X on the HP I am
unable to connect to the x86 machine running an X server. If I telnet from
an xterm on the HP to the x86 machine and try to execute xterm on it (or
netscape or anything) I get an error from Xlib -> "Server refused
connection...". The server is the HP. I am pretty good at setting things
up however have never played with X before. man X, man startx, man xauth,
man xdm didnt help me much :(

So, question is: "How do I use the X server running on the x86 machine
from my HP?". I know it is kind of a broad inquiry but if someone has any
ideas... :)

The x86 machine is out-of-the-box install as far as X/KDE go (it is also
running xfs) -> how do I know X on it is accepting connections from other
machines?

Is there a FAQ somewhere I can read and perhaps go through this alone? :)

Best regards,
Ognen Duzlevski