Subject: Re: Disklabels, Booting, and Overlap, Oh My!
To: Justin Tripp <justin@ee.byu.edu>
From: Secret Asian Man <cchen@nougat.org>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/20/2000 19:44:04
On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 07:32:46PM -0600, Justin Tripp wrote:
> There are several errors in your disklabel.
> I am assuming that your sectors/track and track/cylinder are correct.

I am too. What I did was 1) boot using SYS_INST and I zapped the disklabel, then I netbooted with SYS_UBOOT and a 1.4.2 GENERIC kernel taken from kern.tgz; With a minimal netbooting setup I got to single user where I ran disklabel -e, which gave me what you see there.

> Okay, first you definitely have more than 1 cylinder.  Having one just
> does not make sense.  You can only find this info out from the
> manufacturer of the drive (or from a working machine with an SCSI
> programming API).

Yep, I assumed that the kernel would find this out; I'll swing along to Seagate's site (it's a ST11200N, 1Gig Sun Firmware...)

I'll scope it a bit more and see what I can find...

cc

--
Christopher Kyin-hwa Chen <cchen@nougat.org>
<http://www.nougat.org/~cchen/>