Subject: 4.4BSD...
To: None <port-hp300@netbsd.org>
From: Jorgen Pehrson <jp@spektr.eu.org>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/19/2000 23:45:25
Hi,
maybe not so much to do with NetBSD per se, but I'll ask anyway...
I've got an HP9000/380 which is running NetBSD 1.3.2. There's an extra
SCSI disk in it on which I wanted to try to install 4.4BSD. I've got the
files from a 4.4BSD-ALPHA distribution for the hp300.

I booted up NetBSD, created an initial disklabel on the spare disk.
Then I proceeded to create a root file system on sd1a and a usr filesystem
on sd1g and mounted them under /mnt and /mnt/usr. Then I did a "cd
/mnt; restore -rf /usr/local/tmp/rootdump". This recreated the 4.4BSD root
filesystem as far as I can see. No warnings or errors.
After that I untarred the usr.tar to /mnt/usr and copied the generic hp300
kernel from /mnt/usr/sys/compile/GENERIC.hp300/vmunix to /mnt/vmunix.

Then I needed to install some boot blocks to the disk. I tried to use the
NetBSD disklabel command with the 4.4BSD bootblocks:

# disklabel -B -b /mnt/usr/mdec/bootsd sd1
disklabel: Bootstrap doesn't leave room for disk label

Then I tried to use the NetBSD bootblocks:
# disklabel -B sd1

When I later try to boot the system this happens:

>> NetBSD/hp300 Primary Boot, Revision 1.9
>> (scott@beech, Wed May 13 18:32:48 CDT 1998)
>> HP 9000/380 SPU
>> Enter "reset" to reset system.
Boot: [[[sd1a:]netbsd][-s][-a][-d]] :- vmunix
565624+33084+134576+[44016+42771] total=0xff0cc1f7
Entry point: 0xff002a26

And nothing happens after this.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

--
Jörgen Pehrson  jp@spektr.eu.org  http://spektr.eu.org/~jp/
"i must say the linux community is a lot nicer than the unix