Subject: Re: 425e success
To: Kevin Read <obsidian@gmx.de>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/04/2000 18:27:23
Hi !

On Sun, 4 Jun 2000, Kevin Read wrote:
> One funny thing tho - if I attach a SCSI drive to it, it complains about
> SCSI register test failed and won't boot, even over the net. Maybe my
> cable's just broken...

Not the cable. HP is broken here :-) Just use a bit force and reverse the
connector on the mainboard. Same thing on the 345...

> BTW, what kind of RAM do these things swallow? It looks like double sided
> PS/2, I tried some old single-sided I have lying around and it wouldn't
> boot using these. Any hints?

I checked it out some time ago. These modules are the same as in the 700
series, 8MB modules are the biggest the 425 can use, 48MB is maximum RAM.
The modules are just 36bits, but they use a) another pinout and b) another
COL/ROW layout than the PC modules do. As i tried, it is IMPOSSIBLE to just
re-route some lines on a standard PC modules, it just doesn't work due to the
other architecture. (PCs can address the modules bytewise, HP uses 32bit-
accesses only, and some other stings resulting from this).

> So, if someone wants to try out code which gets the FB running I'd be more
> than glad to test it :-)

Me2!

...Michael

--