Subject: Re: HP 9000/425e question
To: Andre Schulze <as8@Rcs1.urz.tu-dresden.de>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/02/2000 16:01:23
Hi !

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Andre Schulze wrote:
> > Ok, many thanks to all for help, i just got the booter and kernel messages of
> > my 425e on the display of my Nokia 9110 :-) There is some NFS server timeout,
> > but this is a problem which i must solve, the main problem, the console, is
>
> this is the same problem i am suffering. unfortunately i didn't find a
> solution although i am trying for some time now.
> do you get an error like this:
>
> nfs_boot: trying RARP (and RPC/bootparam)
> nfs_boot: client_addr=141.30.67.234 (RARP from 141.30.67.231)
> nfs_boot: timeout...
> nfs_boot: timeout...
> nfs_boot: timeout...
> nfs_boot: bootparam whoami, error=60
> no file system for le0
> cannot mount root, error = 79

sort of... I get error -1, and after that it displays me the root path, and
jumps into debugger because of missing init. I thought, my setup is a bit
weired, because the 345 did it perfectly. Maybe i should just build my fs with
the 345 :-)

> while trying to mount root the box doesn't send any bootparamd
> queries. any ideas?
> i tried several kernels - always the same probs.

I even pinged it in this phase, it echoes perfectly (i got some problem with
a VAX having problems with its arp tables in a similar situation). I should
have a look into the sources, but in this stage, all ports are the same, so
why does just the 425e makes this trouble? Maybe a problem with the kernel's
network driver? 425e uses standard LANCE, if i saw this right on the board.

> > thanks again, i'll try to get it running now and put the whole stuff onto the
> > disk.
> >
> please send a message when you have succeeded.

I'll try later. For now, i'm screwing around in my sendmail.cf and checking
some RAM in my PDP-11, and i consider taking lunch before it gets dark
outside, and my neighbour thinks, we should install MiNT on my old STE... lots
of strange stuff, weekends are too short :-) but i'll try out some stuff this
weekend.

...Michael

--
 Michael@camaronet.de, Rottweil/Germany, http://www.camaronet.de