Subject: Re: HP 9000/425e question
To: None <port-hp300@netbsd.org>
From: Andre Schulze <as8@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/02/2000 10:27:18
--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8

Am Fri den 02 Jun 2000 um 02:43:38AM +0200 schrieb Michael Kukat:
> Hi !
>=20
> > Alternatively, you can netboot your 425e using these bootloaders, see
> > <http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot>
>=20
well my hp425e really ran netbsd, unfortunately the boot server got
reinstalled and i didn'nt found the time to fix the troubles i am
having with moving it to anonther machine.
but it _is_ possible to get a hp425e working. you should do the
following tings:
1. set up reverse arp
2. set up bootparams
3. set up rbootd
4. set up the root on the nfs server (create an ordinary user to be
able to log into the machine)
if using a sparc - don't use ip's it will only accept fqhn. took me
some time (although mentioned in the docs :|

5. run all those utilities in debug mode. bootparams and rbootd give
nice output of what they are doing.

the hard beat led starts to blink _after_ the kernel is booted. this
takes some time (15-20sec).
also use tcpdump to see what is happening on your net. you should be
able to see wheter the box fetches a kernel or not. my problem is, it
refuses to mount root (will use the bootparams server of the old
installation - hope that will work)

> I used the same setup i used for my 345 to install, except for the new bo=
oter.
> It gets the booter, but it just blanks the screen and hangs. No output on=
 the
> serial console, and no hartbeat LED after waiting some minutes.
>=20
does this 345 boot using this configuration? i put the kernel i used
to http://rudi.urz.tu-dresden.de/~andre/netbsd.gz maybe it gives some
output with this kernel. here it really does - it even accepts input.

i am just guessing, but also try to switch service mode on and off.

> > If for some reason you can't get the kernel to use the serial port, you=
 can
> > edit the /etc directory to automatically boot to the point where you can
> > telnet in.
>=20
this is how i did it. put a command to create a new user into the rc
file and logged in as this user.

> As no heartbeat flashes, i don't think the kernel gets booted.
>=20
be more patient - but one minute should be sufficient.

> > Good luck.  Let me know if I've got anything wrong in this post, as I'l=
l be
> > adding an entry to the FAQ and install notes.
>=20
i announced some contribution to such a new part of the faq - sorry for my
laziness.
if i get it to work, is someone interested to get a disc dump form
this box, as this is another way to bootstrap a installation?

> Ok, maybe someone else with a 425e should verify this, if it works there,=
 my
> board is really ready for trash, otherwise, i'll look into the kernel/boo=
ter
> sources to find out more.
>=20
since it works in domain mode, why should it be broken? have fun.

	andre

--=20
"Die deutsche Sprache muss clean bleiben!"

--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8

--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8--