Subject: Re: 425e boot
To: None <port-hp300@netbsd.org>
From: Andre Schulze <as8@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/23/2000 09:08:14
--huq684BweRXVnRxX

Am Tue den 23 May 2000 um 01:18:45AM +0200 schrieb Kevin Read:
>=20
>=20
> > On Thu, 18 May 2000, Andre Schulze wrote:
> > > after moving the the installation from one server to another, i have a
> > > boot problem with my hp425e (it really ran before).
>=20
> You got a 425e to boot? Really? I tried and it loaded the booter via
> rbootd, but it never went further. I had a serial console on the first
> serial port. What did I do wrong?

i did'nt have the time to play with it the last days, but i am shure it
will be alive soon (some bootparams problem).
you need rbootd which sends the bootloader to your apollo, bootparams
which tells the box the location of its nfs-root and its name, rarp to do
a reverse arp lookup so your box will know its ip.
furthermore you need a nfs filesystem exported to your apollo and
accessible as root (security hole).
rbootd alone is not sufficent.
the serial console works with the kernel i used. i found this kernel
version somewhere on a netbsd mirror. if you are interested i may have
a look at the ftp servers and tell you where to find this specific
kernel.
when you set up your diskless environment you should first run rbootd
and bootparams in debug mode "... -d" and have a tcpdump filter out
your apollo. this gives you some kind of idea where to look for a
mistake.
and, don't be too impatient. even if the apollo got its kernel it
takes a while to decompress it. i resetted my box several times before
i actually realized that it's working :-)

	andre

--huq684BweRXVnRxX

--huq684BweRXVnRxX--