Subject: Re: serial console on a 425e
To: Kevin Read <obsidian@gmx.de>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw34@cornell.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/13/2000 13:16:18
At 4:57 PM +0200 5/13/00, Kevin Read wrote:

:)Ok, how do I get the ROM on to a disk?

Well, this requires two important pieces of hardware:  a PROM burner and a
425e.

You (or anyone else on this list) need to open the 425e case and pull out
the ROM.

If it's anything like the 425t I've got, it's an Intel 40 (?) pin DIP chip
(two rows of pins) that's one of the only socketed chips on the motherboard
-- everything else is soldered down.

Remove this chip carefully.

Put it in a PROM burner and read the contents of this PROM.  S-Record
format would be best.  You may need a local expert to help you here.

Someone out there with a PROM burner might offer to let someone with a 425e
ship them the PROM for reading.  I'd offer, but I don't have a PROM burner
or a 425e.

Good luck,
  -- MW