Subject: Re: serial console on a 425e
To: None <port-hp300@netbsd.org>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/07/2000 20:08:56
On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, Andre Schulze wrote:

[dug out from my archive, and hence a bit old]

> i am new to this list and recently got a hp 425e which i am triing to
> get to work. unfortunately the serial ports are not displayed during
> system start. thus, there is no entry for a serial port in the i/o boot
> menu (the procedure how to get a serial console shows such an entry -
> captured from a serial console).
> however, the serial port is needed for the console since the framebuffer
> is not supported yet.
> we tried to boot from the net which seems to work execpt that we cant't
> see anything. does somebody knows how to get the serial console working
> on this machine (425e)?

I too have a 425e machine, which I've been trying (not very hard) to get
working for the last few years in my few spare minutes.

I'm now trying more seriously to get it doing something, and have the same
problem with the serial console not being supported in the same way.

A few years ago however, I did plug a vt302 terminal into one of the
serial ports, and somehow I managed to get the boot ROM to talk on the
serial port. Unfortunately, I have no idea how I did it.

On a related note, how much of an effort would it be to get the boot code
to listen on say port 21 and bind to a socket rather than talking on the
serial console?

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget