Subject: Re: MMU fault from console keyboard when using serial console
To: David Jones <dej@inode.org>
From: NetBSD hp300 list <hp300@mrynet.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/04/2000 16:55:16
> On Tue, 04 Apr 2000, you wrote:
> > Eeeeep!
> > Unplug the CPU keyboard when running a serial console on your
> > model 380.  Below is what happened when my HIL keyboard was
> > accidentally touched while the serial console was being used:
> >
> > Is this the "MMU bug" that has been mentioned to me that occurs
> > with the '040 chip?
>
> I get this type of error if a key is pressed before the kernel comes up.
>
> You don't need to unplug the keyboard.  Simply press a key before the kernel
> has finished booting.
>
> I suspect that the keyboard interupt is being enabled before the keyboard
> driver has initialized.  Uninitialized code then takes the interrupt and...

The setup here is:  the ROM is set to always direct the console to the
serial port.  So, bootup will always go to the serial port.

If the machine is to run unattended, I think it is paramount to unplug the
keyboard in this circumstance, as it would not always be possible to perform
a keypress when rebooting.  A simple accidental keystroke on the keyboard
once booted was all it took to trigger the panic.  I'm of the opinion that
this is probably something that should be rectified--finding a way to have
the kernel recognise the keyboard when it isn't the console and handling
the interrupt or whatever hardware issue is at fault.

Thanks :)
-skots
--
Scott G. Akmentins-Taylor     InterNet: staylor@mrynet.com