Subject: probs with newly acquired 380
To: None <port-hp300@netbsd.org>
From: NetBSD hp300 list <hp300@mrynet.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/01/2000 13:43:22
Well, now that the list seems to be working for me... :)

I'm new to the HP9000 platform and have just acquired one.

It was believed to be a model 375 based on a small sticker on the
front saying, "upgraded to 375."  Upon further inspection, and
bootup messages, it appears to be a 380--68040 25mhz inside and
the below messages.

I have three problems however when trying to use it and further
installing NetBSD:

1)	There is a 98550A video control board in it.  I don't seem
	to have an RGB monitor that is compatible though.  The RGB
	monitor I have at my disposal is DEC VR299 (colour).  I
	also have a VR219 mono monitor, which is what I'm using.
	By plugging the green-out from the 98550 into this mono
	monitor, I can get enough of an image to make out boot
	messages.  The bootup messages occurring are described
	below.  Otherwise, this is a completely useless monitor.
	I yank this board to get the NetBSD SYS_INST rbootd
	setup to work on the serial port.

2)	The keyboard doesn't work.
	When the machine powers up, the keyboard lights do indeed
	flash.  I presume this is normal.  However, absolutely no
	keypresses are recognised by either the boot ROM or with
	SYS_INST when the console isn't directed to the serial port.

  Note that when using the serial port as the console for SYS_INST,
  I still don't have access to the ROM startup via the serial port.
  I would presume the ROM is still directing startup to a presumed
  video board and motherboard keyboard port.  Until I can resolve
  the keyboard issue, I presume I'm stuck with this situation.

3)	I can (apparently) successfully disklabel drives with SYS_INST
	however doing the miniroot step simply hangs after responding
	to the "Server path?" prompt.  There is absolutely no attempt
	at the server end to mount an NFS path, since there are
	neither accept nor reject messages in the log.

Thus, I have an apparently working machine, but with some serious
hurdles to overcome.

Is anyone able to help direct me in resolving these issues?   I don't
have access to any other HP equipment to make debugging the keyboard
issue convenient.  And the SYS_INST NFS issue leaves me at a dead
end as well.

On a last note, is it possible to dd(1) a basic install root via a
MIPS, vax or i386 machine onto a SCSI drive that the hp300 would
boot, load a ramdisk kernel, and allow me to proceed installing this
way?  All options are being sought and considered.

Some information on the bootup screen when the 98550 is plugged in
(omission, misspelling or other transcription errors are mostly likely
due to the fact that I have to blink rapidly when trying to read
the screen :)

	Copyright 1990
	Hewlett Packard Company
	All Rights Reserved.

	BOOTROM Rev. 2.0 29 NOV 90
	Bit Mapped Video
	MC68040 Processor
	Configuration EEPROM
	HP HIL
	Type RETURN for internal RS-232
	HP-IB
	DMA-C0
	RAM 33554116 Bytes
	HP98644 (RS-232) at 9
	HP98265 (SCSI S 32) at 14
	HP98643 (LAN) at 21, THIN 08 00 09 11 2b d6
	HP PARALLEL at 23
	(and the bottom changes through "testing"... etc, to finally "SYSTEM SEARCH MODE")

additionally, the NetBSD boot does indeed identify this as a model 380.

No other boards are installed besides the main CPU and 98550 RGB.  I did acquire
two SCSI expansions with a CDROM, DDS-1 DAT and two 675m drives.

Please, please... any and all help requested and appreciated.

Cheers,
-skots
--
Scott G. Akmentins-Taylor     InterNet: staylor@mrynet.com