Subject: Questions about NetBSD and the 425t
To: None <port-hp300@netbsd.org>
From: Sean 'Captain Napalm' Conner <spc@armigeron.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 02/16/2000 23:43:32
  I just subscribed because I have some questions about NetBSD and the
HP/Apollo 425T.  I have two of the systems and only just recently got the
appropriate HP-HIL keyboard.  I was able to successfully install NetBSD 1.4
on one of the systems, and I'm having difficulty with the other system.

  I read the past years worth of messages for this list and it answered a
few of my questions, but it also raised more.

  1. Both systems have the A1659-66001 video adaptors, which are SGC and
thus, not supported since no one has written drivers for it.  Is there
anyone working on drivers?  Is there any information about writing drivers
for the card?  I currently have the time, and the expertise to attempt it
(and I certainly dont' want to see this wonderful 19" monitor to go to
waste, especially since I reorganized my entire computer room just to use
it).

  2. Both systems come with 2 Quantum 425S SCSI drives.  One system I was
able to install with no problems (there was a kernel panic, but that may
have been my fault since I'm not familiar with BSD systems in general) but
the second one upon booting I get:

	oscsi0: targ 6 abort from icmd: phase=0x49, ssts=0xb2, ints=0x0
	-- scsiabort gave up after 1000 tries (startlen = 1048 len = 1047)
	-- scsiabort gave up after 1000 tries (startlen = 1048 len = 1047)
	-- scsiabort gave up after 1000 tries (startlen = 1048 len = 1047)
	-- scsiabort gave up after 1000 tries (startlen = 1048 len = 1047)

	sd0: scsi sense class 7, code 0, key 2
	sd0: WARNING: I/O error, using old default partitioning
	sd0: scsi sense class 7, code 0, key 2
	sd0: WARNING: I/O error, using old default partitioning
	sd0: scsi sense class 7, code 0, key 2
	sd0: scsi sense class 7, code 0, key 2
	sd0: WARNING: I/O error, using old default partitioning
	no file system for sd0 (dev 0x400)
	cannot mount root, error = 79

  Nothing I do after that works.  In reading the archive I saw a quick blurb
about there being problems with Quantum drives and I'm wondering if this is
the case I'm having.

  3. As long as I'm here, might as well ask:  On the working system I did
set up a swap partition on both drives, although right now only one of the
swap partitions is active.  What do I need to do to prepare the other swap
partition for use?  Under linux it's ``mkswap'' but I don't see an
equivilent for NetBSD.  I did do a ``swapon /dev/sd6b'' which seemed to work
yet the kernel panic'ed when my friend tried to compile ssh on the system
(with that swap partition not installed, the compile went fine).

  Thanks.

  -spc (Oh, and a quick mention in the Installation file that if the screen
	seems to go dead, try hooking a terminal up to the system.  I wasted
	several hours over that 8-)