Subject: Re: Getting X11R5 HP/UX Source?
To: Mike Whiten <mwhiten@microlegend.com>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@ee.cornell.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 01/27/2000 17:02:05
On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Mike Whiten wrote:

>   Does anyone have contacts within HP?  I'm just wondering if there
> is any hope in getting HP to release the source for their X server?  I'm
> thinking (I could be wrong) that this would be the easiest way to create
> an X11R6 server for hp300-netbsd.

X11R5 from ftp.x.org supports hp300.  Also, the X11R5 server distributed
with NetBSD has source available, and which drives most of the
framebuffers supported by NetBSD.

>   Am I correct in assuming that the main reason we don't have an X11R6
> server is because we don't know enough about driving the frame buffer?

Last I heard was that it was waiting for someone to actually code it.  The
suggestion was to wait until someone had ported wscons to hp300 making it
easier to add in support for X.  Since no one has stepped up and done this
(none of the people eager for R6 know how to program), we're stuck with
R5.  Personally, I use the X11R5 that shipped with HP-UX 9.10 since it's
faster and more stable than the BSD R5.  It supports all framebuffers
supported by NetBSD.

<http://fatmac.ee.cornell.edu/hp300/X11>

AFAIK, there has never ever been an R6 for hp300 platform under any OS.  I
know of one person who was looking into porting R6 to HP-UX, but never
heard back from him as to whether he got it working.

Good luck,
  -- MW