Subject: Re: HP X11R5 server and NetBSD 1.4.1
To: Michael Goryll <m.goryll@fz-juelich.de>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 11/30/1999 07:52:03
On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 10:40:38 +0100
 Michael Goryll <m.goryll@fz-juelich.de> wrote:

 > I experienced a similar beaviour to that described by Steve Peurifoy
 > (see the link on Mike Wolfson's page). Running NetBSD 1.3.2 on a
 > hp9000/345 (1024x768 lo-res display, 16MB RAM, SCSI disks) the X server
 > works fine, except for the core dump when I quit or restart the server.
 > When I changed to NetBSD 1.4.1 (generic kernel), the system crashed with
 > a kernel coredump after killing the X server with Ctrl+Shift+Break. The
 > following message appeared: "reboot after panic: AMAP_B2SLOT:invalid
 > byte count". So the system crash seems to occur on (any?) sytem running
 > the 1.4.1 kernel.

Is this the 4.4BSD-derived NetBSD X server or the HP-UX X server?

I have not been able to reproduce this on a NetBSD-not-quite-current system:

NetBSD groovy-jumbo-jet 1.4L NetBSD 1.4L (BASALT) #151: Sun Oct 24 11:17:41 PDT 1999     thorpej@groovy-jumbo-jet:/tmp_mnt/yeah-baby/u1/netbsd/src/sys/arch/hp300/compile/BASALT hp300

...I can only assume this was an MI UVM bug that's been fixed since the
1.4.1 release.

I know it's been a while since there's been a snapshot.  If I can't find
someone else to put one together soon, I'll try to get one built.  Then
perhaps you could try NetBSD-current and see if the problem still exists
for you.