Subject: Re: Bootable CDROMs and HP 425ts.
To: None <port-hp300@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
List: port-hp300
Date: 09/15/1999 05:55:55
Steve Peurifoy <swp@alumni.rice.edu> probably said:
> The most expedient method I know of is to use a Plextor CD-ROM drive
> and flip the little switch on the back that tells it to pretend it
> has 512 byte sectors (I've made an emergency bootable CD for my 380
> and it works with my 12-Plex).  I realize that you might find this
> suggestion somewhat less than helpful though.

Or use any disk marked as Sun or SGI bootable - they both need 512 byte
sectors.

> A straight disk image *is* what you want (I hacked /etc/rc to create
> a small MFS for /var), but unfortunately, as I recall, there's something
> in the code that makes up NetBSD's boot loader that doesn't like sector
> sizes other than 512 bytes.  This is somewhat ironic since the hp300
> port can handle FFS images on 2048 byte/sector CDs just fine once it's
> booted (say what you will about the NetBSD/hp300 SCSI subsystem, partial

Sparcs and Solaris are the same, as are SGIs/IRIX as far as I know.
Most any CDrom drive will work after booting an OS, need 512 blocks
for booting.

Solaris boot disks are special UFS disk images on CD and therefore a
royal pain in the neck to create on anything other than a sparc (I've
got a copy of SUn's "how to create bootable CDs" document somewhere).

P.

--
pir               pir@pir.net      pir@shore.net      pir@net.tufts.edu