Subject: Re: Bootable CDROMs and HP 425ts.
To: Brent Hetherwick <hetherwi@math.wisc.edu>
From: Steve Peurifoy <swp@alumni.rice.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 09/14/1999 22:40:01
> I've been directed here for the answer to this question, as it was
> deemed inappropriate for *.netbsd.misc.  So here it is:  I'd like
> to make a bootable NetBSD CDROM for my Apollo.  Unfortunately, just
> writing a disk image to CD "raw" gives a disc which won't enter
> the "second stage boot".  Is it possible to use a "one-stage bootstrap"
> with NetBSD/hp300, so that I could write a disk image with this to
> CDROM, or are there any other tricks I might use for making a bootable
> CD?

The most expedient method I know of is to use a Plextor CD-ROM drive
and flip the little switch on the back that tells it to pretend it
has 512 byte sectors (I've made an emergency bootable CD for my 380
and it works with my 12-Plex).  I realize that you might find this
suggestion somewhat less than helpful though.

A straight disk image *is* what you want (I hacked /etc/rc to create
a small MFS for /var), but unfortunately, as I recall, there's something
in the code that makes up NetBSD's boot loader that doesn't like sector
sizes other than 512 bytes.  This is somewhat ironic since the hp300
port can handle FFS images on 2048 byte/sector CDs just fine once it's
booted (say what you will about the NetBSD/hp300 SCSI subsystem, partial
sector handling is one of its seriously redeeming features - I don't
think any of the ports using the MI SCSI driver can do this right now).
Fixing the boot loader is presumably the proverbial SMOP but I don't
know where the problem is off hand.

-Steve