Subject: Re: HP 385 and 425e
To: Steve Peurifoy <swp@alumni.rice.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/31/1999 13:07:07
On Sat, 31 Jul 1999 14:01:32 -0600 (MDT)
 Steve Peurifoy <swp@alumni.rice.edu> wrote:

 > All correct.  I'm not sure whether or not HP ever officially put the
 > 385 on the market, but quite a few people both inside and outside of
 > HP turned their 380s into 385s by going to 33 MHz (of course you need
 > to install a faster 68040 if you're not a gambler).  In fact some
 > early 380s had ASIC defects that required running with the extra wait
 > state even at 25 MHz.  It was amusing to see such machines identified
 > by HP-UX as 385s.

Heh :-)  Okay, so I know some people with 385s, too :-)  (I haven't
actually 33MHz'd my system yet... need to find a faster '040 first; a
test run a 33MHz resulted in flaky arithmetic on my 25MHz part.)

 > > The 385 probably worked fine before, actually, but printed
 > > the wrong CPU speed.
 >
 > Yup.  I've been running NetBSD on one for quite awhile.

Okay, cool...

Well, for future reference, if you run -current (and in 1.5 and later),
you will have to add HP385 to your kernel config file (I'm about to
commit examples), just like there are separate HP425 and HP433 options.

Thanks for the note!