Subject: HP 9862B Disk with NetBSD?
To: None <port-hp300@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Fleeger <mrf142@psu.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/29/1999 00:51:29
Hello.  I have been trying to install NetBSD 1.4 on my HP9000/340 for quite
some time now (I began with 1.3 over a year ago).  I have a high speed
HP-IB interface which I connected to my HP9862B hard disk.  I know this
disk is not listed as supported, but for reasons too long ago to remember,
I have been trying geometry identical to the 9858B disk.  The disk is
recognized correctly as rd9, and I am able to edit, write and display back
the disk info.  I made partition a 120 M or so, and partition b the
additional 20M or so.  I made sure to label b type ffs for miniroot.  I
made the c partition the entire disk of type boot.  When I choose miniroot,
it asks for the method, and I choose nfs.  I enter the name,
miniroot-14.fs, and hit enter.  The machine then completely stops.  There
is no apparent disk activity, it doesn't prompt for network info, etc, and
it doesn't respond to keystrokes.  Could this be a problem related to the
disk?  I'm quite certain that my server machine is set up correctly.  Rboot
works fine, and the shared directory mounted fine under HP-UX.  Any help
would be greatly appreciated.  Alternatively, would anyone wish to sell a
SCSI interface for a 9000/340?  Thanks again.

Matt