Subject: Re: Bootp problems with HP300
To: None <port-hp300@netbsd.org>
From: None <kannan@magazine.usask.ca>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/11/1999 16:17:54
On Tue, 11 May 1999, Michael Wolfson wrote:
> Seems strange.  I've never been very pleased with the linux rarp
> implementation.  I assume you don't have access to any other unix platform?
> Try turning off rarp support on the linux machine and see if the hp prints
> the error message.

A lot of BSD folks dont like it, and neither do I.

> Your hp's ethernet obviously works, since the rboot process reads and
> writes to the network.
>
> Once SYS_UBOOT is loaded (via rboot), the HP's bootrom releases control to
> that code, and SYS_UBOOT is running on your HP.  It knows it was loaded
> over network (as opposed to a hard drive) and tries to find a rarp server,
> then a bootparams server, then an nfs server (in that order).
>
> If you have a minimal amount of HP-UX on a hard drive on your 360, there
> are some kludges I can help you with to bootstrap up to NetBSD.  Or, if you
> are lucky enough to have SCSI on your 360, there are several easy options
> for getting started.
>
>   -- MW

So the problem is either with SYS_UBOOT, or if SYS_UBOOT is fine,
something in the system which disallows the rarp requests from being sent
out.

As for SCSI, I'm not sure how to recognize it when I see it.

The ports on the back are wierd and I've never seenthem before.  The
screen printout before getting SYS_UBOOT goes like this:

Copyright 1988.
Hewlett-Packard Company.
All Rights Reserved.

BOOTROM Rev. C1
Bit Mapped Display
MC60030 Processor
MC68882 Coprocessor
Keyboard
HP-IB		( I think this referrs to the hard drive)
DMA-C0
RAM 8388384 Bytes
HP98644 (RS232) at 9
HP98643 (LAN) at 21, CC:CC:CC:CC:CC:CC

I dont kinow if that gives you any clues.  My purchase form includes no
information about it.

-kannann