Subject: Bootp problems with HP300
To: None <port-hp300@netbsd.org>
From: None <kannan@magazine.usask.ca>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/11/1999 13:37:15
I'm running into extreme furstrations trying to set up an HP9000/300
machine I bought.  I am trying to netboot it from a linux box.

After much twiddling and following the remote-boot hp300 howto, I did
everything that is needed of me, as far as the howto goes.

The hp300 boots, and rbootd sees the boot requests, and sends over
SYS_UBOOT.  At this point, the hp box goes to a prompt.  It waits a few
seconds and then prints a newline, and then does nothing.  At the prompt,
I can type "reset" and the machine will start over from the beginning,
but I cant do much more.

According to the howto - after SYS_UBOOT, the hp box is supposed to send
out an rarp request for it's ip.  I have rarp configured on my host box,
and nothing happens.  Even if the hp300 is not able to get an IP address
through rarp, it's supossed to print an error message, but it does
nothing, just sits there.

I am at the end of my wits about this problem.

Some info about the setup:
	the network is 1 486, 2 386, and 1 hp300, all running Linux except
for the hp300.  It's connected by coaxial.  The 486 is the bootp and rarp
and nfs server.
	I really want to see this hp beast up and running, any help would
be greatly appreciated.

-kannan