Subject: Re: Where to get hard drives?
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: port-hp300
Date: 01/21/1999 15:02:37
Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>  wrote:
 Hm, I think an hp340 _does_ have built-in SCSI... not all hp300 models
 > do.  Some only have built-in HP-IB (and a slow one, at that).

wow. you see what 'girls' have done to jasons mind?  :-)

the 340 didn't have built-in scsi. you needed a DIO card for that. I
saw one once.

 > HP-IB connectors are always IEEE-488 connectors, and there won't be
 > HP-IB connectors inside the case of the SPU.

on the hp400's, the HPIB starts on the motherboard as a 34 pin 2 row
header connector.  They're then broken out to the familiar centronics
style connectors.

 > If it had room for internal SCSI, the drives (and thus the connectors) would
 > have been in the very front of the machine, right behind the grille.  Is
 > that where the connectors are?

the 345 has room for an internal disk using a funky-assed 54 pin
header connector that is just regular narrow scsi with 2 pins on
either side (don't ask)... The internal drive-brackets are something
else indeed... Whoever designed those puppies musta worked for the
Delco car-radio school of mechanical engineering.

:-)