Subject: Re: Kernel panics with 98642 and 1.3.2
To: None <port-hp300@netbsd.org>
From: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@nfp.fi>
List: port-hp300
Date: 01/12/1999 09:54:08

>Could this be a problem with the cable (2 & 3 crossed, 6 &8 &20 (not sure)
>jumpered, 7 through..) or other hardware (configuration) or a Real Live bug
>?

Okey, it wasn't a hardware problem, since the board worked with the generic
kernel and I think that the generic kernel has DEBUG defined ?
After noticing that I started removing different options starting from
NETATALK..
I came up with this config-file and it didn't work.. I'm really starting to
think that this could be related to defining DEBUG... If anybody has *any*
ideas I'd appreciate hearing them!

--snip-my-kernel-
# $NetBSD: GENERIC,v 1.34.4.1 1997/11/20 08:43:25 mellon Exp $
#
# Generic kernel - one size fits all.
#

# Include attributes common to all hp300s
include "arch/hp300/conf/std.hp300"

# Support for various CPU types
options  HP380
makeoptions COPTS="-O2 -m68040" #We don't need no stinkin 020's!

# Need to set locally
maxusers 64

# Standard system options
options  COMPAT_43 # compatibility with 4.3BSD interfaces
options  COMPAT_44 # compatibility with 4.4BSD binaries
options  COMPAT_09 # compatibility with NetBSD 0.9
options  COMPAT_10 # compatibility with NetBSD 1.0
options  COMPAT_11 # compatibility with NetBSD 1.1
options  COMPAT_12 # compatibility with NetBSD 1.2
options  SYSVSHM  # System V-style shared memory
options  SYSVSEM  # System V-style semaphores
options  SYSVMSG  # System V-style message queues
options  KTRACE  # system call tracing support
options  NKMEMCLUSTERS=2048 # 4K pages in kernel malloc pool
options  LKM  # Loadable kernel modules
#options  SCSIVERBOSE # Verbose SCSI errors

# Filesystems
file-system FFS  # fast filesystem
file-system CD9660  # CD-ROM ISO-9660 filesystem
file-system NFS  # Network filesystem client
file-system UNION  # Union filesystem (req. for FDESC)
file-system KERNFS  # kernel data-structure filesystem
file-system FDESC  # user file descriptor filesystem
file-system PROCFS  # /proc filesystem
file-system MFS  # Memory-based filesystem

# Filesystem options
options  FIFO  # POSIX fifo support (in all filesystems)
options  QUOTA  # User and group quotas in FFS
options  NFSSERVER # Network filesystem server

# Networking options
options  INET  # Internet protocols
options  GATEWAY  # IP forwarding + larger mb_map
options  MROUTING # Multicast routing
options  TCP_COMPAT_42 # compatibility with 4.2BSD TCP/IP
#options  PFIL_HOOKS # packet filter hooks
options NMBCLUSTERS=1024 #crank this up!

# Options for HP hardware
options  FPSP  # floating point interface for 68040
options  USELEDS  # make the lights twinkle
options  COMPAT_NOLABEL # defaults for unlabeled disks
#options  PANICBUTTON # two fast <reset>s on HIL dump kernel
#options  CONSCODE=9 # force console at this select code
#options  UK_KEYBOARD # include United Kingdom HIL keymap
#options  SE_KEYBOARD # include Swedish HIL keymap

# This option enables a different copyin/copyout that uses page
# mapping for large copies.
#options  MAPPEDCOPY # different copyin/copyout for large copies

#
# HP-UX binary compatibility.
# NOTE: THIS IS STILL VERY EXPERIMENTAL. YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY.
#
options  COMPAT_HPUX # HP-UX binary compatibility

options  COMPAT_M68K4K # compat. with NetBSD/m68k4k binaries

# Debugging options
options  DIAGNOSTIC # Extra kernel sanity checks
#options  DEBUG  # Enable misc. kernel debugging code
options  DDB  # Kernel Dynamic Debugger
makeoptions DEBUG="-g" # netbsd.gdb with full debugging symbols

# Verbose descriptions of unconfigured DIO devices
# (Warning: this compiles in a large string table)
options  DIOVERBOSE # recognize "unknown" DIO devices

config  netbsd root on ? type ?

mainbus0 at root  # root "bus"

intio0  at mainbus0 # internal i/o space
dio0  at mainbus0 # DIO/DIO-II bus

# Frodo utility chip found on 4xx's
frodo0  at intio?

# 8250-like serial ports found on Frodo ASIC
#dnkbd0  at frodo? offset 0x0 # Domain keyboard flavor
apci*  at frodo? offset ? # tty flavor

# Davinci framebuffer
dvbox*  at intio?
dvbox*  at dio? scode ?

# Gatorbox framebuffer
gbox*  at intio?
gbox*  at dio? scode ?

# Hyperion framebuffer
hyper*  at dio? scode ?

# Renaissance framebuffer
rbox*  at intio?
rbox*  at dio? scode ?

# Topcat/catseye framebuffers
topcat*  at intio?
topcat*  at dio? scode ?

# Framebuffer abstraction
grf*  at dvbox?
grf*  at gbox?
grf*  at hyper?
grf*  at rbox?
grf*  at topcat?

# Internal Terminal Emulator
ite*  at grf?

dca0  at dio? scode 9 flags 1 # DCA serial interfaces
dca*  at dio? scode ?

dcm*  at dio? scode ? flags 0xe # DCM 4- or 8-port serial interfaces

le*  at dio? scode ?  # LANCE ethernet interfaces

nhpib0  at dio? scode 7  # slow internal HP-IB
nhpib*  at dio? scode ?

fhpib*  at dio? scode ?  # `fast' HP-IB

hpibbus0 at nhpib0
hpibbus* at nhpib?
hpibbus* at fhpib?

rd*  at hpibbus? slave ? punit ? # HP-IB disks
ct*  at hpibbus? slave ? punit ? # HP-IB cartridge tapes
mt*  at hpibbus? slave ? punit ? # HP-IB 9-track tape
ppi0  at hpibbus0 slave 5 punit 0 # HP-IB plotter

oscsi*  at dio? scode ?  # Old HP SCSI

sd*  at oscsi? target ? lun ? # SCSI disks
st*  at oscsi? target ? lun ? # SCSI tapes
ac*  at oscsi? target ? lun ? # SCSI changers

pseudo-device pty  64 # pseudo ptys
pseudo-device sl  4 # SLIP network interfaces
pseudo-device ppp  4 # PPP network interfaces
pseudo-device bpfilter 16 # Berkeley packet filter
pseudo-device vnd  4 # vnode pseudo-disks
pseudo-device ccd  4 # concatenated disk devices
pseudo-device loop   # loopback network interface
pseudo-device ipfilter   # IP Filter package
# rnd is EXPERIMENTAL
#pseudo-device rnd   # /dev/random and in-kernel generator
--
Jarkko Teppo
jarkko.teppo@nfp.fi