Subject: Kernel panics with 98642 and 1.3.2
To: None <port-hp300@netbsd.org>
From: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@nfp.fi>
List: port-hp300
Date: 01/11/1999 10:30:30
Hello all,
the subject says it. I just recently added a HP98642 RS232 MUX board and now
I'm getting interesting kernel crashes. When I connect a standard RS-232
null modem cable to the port marked 'modem' the kernel promptly crashes.
When I remove it, crash. When I turn off the terminal at the other end of
the cable, crash.
No getty or anything else is running for the interface, and it is configured
in config with flags 0xe.

Could this be a problem with the cable (2 & 3 crossed, 6 &8 &20 (not sure)
jumpered, 7 through..) or other hardware (configuration) or a Real Live bug
?

I don't have the crash output, nor dmesg but here's the stuff when the
machine boots:

BOOTROM REV.2.0 blaablaa
Bit Mapped Video
MC68040
Configuration EEPROM
HP-HIL.Keyboard
HP-IB
DMA-C0
RAM 29359812 Bytes
HP98644 (RS-232) at 9
HP98642 (RS-232 MUX) at 13
/* (should this be set to something else ? ipl=3 at the moment*/

HP98265 (SCSI S 32) at 14
HP98643 (LAN) at 21 .. blaablaa
HP PARALLEL at 23
HP98265 (SCSI S 16) at 30