Subject: misc questions about 425e
To: None <port-hp300@netbsd.org>
From: Guillaume Laures <laures@hp1.esiea.fr>
List: port-hp300
Date: 11/13/1998 18:59:36
Hi everybody...

  I'm new to this list so if I ask questions I shouldn't... feel free to
tell me.

  Well I 'won' an hp apollo 400 series, which turns out to be a 425e.

    *BUT* I don't know much about this machine, have found no doc so far
and I need to know :
  if SCSI (1.4 MB/s) or SCSI II (5MB/s) hard drives should be used (it =
came
empty),
  what type of RAM modules should be installed (FPM/EDO, how many ns, it
came with none),
  if some people is working on the console (and what type of screen is
applicable ? is it a standard PC VGA connector like it seems, but (with no
RAM there is nothing on my screen)

  I 'won' (actually my engineer school got rid of them) too another 400
series, a 400t this time with two RODIME RO300T hard drives/32MB. Is it a
better deal under netbsd right now ? I can hook various videocards from =
VME
(graphics bus or N&B) to MultiBus ( big big color Matrox or a color
multiple L1A2793 w/ Bt RAMDAC). The problem here is that I have a
fixed-frequency apollo monitor (seems to be 1152*870@80Hz from various
tries on my mac) but the videocards don't seem to provide appropriate
timings... how do I change them ?

I may have to get this one back though.
  For now I plan to netboot the 425e (as soon as I could find some RAM for
it) from a 7200/75/linux (wich is a blind machine/internet router). Should
be pretty easy with the great FAQ at netbsd.org. But if there is now =
screen
support... will be less useful. I plan to use it as a Lyx machine for my
mother, new to computer and typewriting.

GoM                E-mail :laures@mail.esiea.fr
Web space : http://perso.magic.fr/guill.laures/