Subject: Re: Problem with HP DAT 1533
To: None <reiner@asta4.rz.fh-ulm.de>
From: Martin Lucina <mato@ariel.kotelna.sk>
List: port-hp300
Date: 11/09/1998 22:28:17
On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 09:16:25AM +0100, Reiner Buehl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to attache my HP C1533A 4mm DAT tape to my hp345 running NetBSD
> 1.3.2. When I boot, the kernel detects the tape correct but I get a
> message saying something like "unkown tape st0, faking it". When I try
> to use it, I get another message like "only QIC-24 supported". The
> kernel was compiled with scsi tape support, the device nodes where
> created with "MAKEDEV st0" and the hardware support list shows 4mm DATs.
> Do I have to create device nodes for st6 because the tape is on SCSI
> ID 6? Or is there another step that I missed?

You haven't missed anything. I tried to use a HP 35480A DAT (one of the older
DDS-DC mechanisms) a while back with no luck. It appears that the tape support
in the kernel is rather ancient. I did find a definition for an HP 35420 (I
think) in the source code and I tried to hack it to work with my 35480A but
failed, not knowing enough about the SCSI code. There's not much you can do,
apart from doing a long-overdue SCSI rewrite.

Martin