Subject: Re: kernel build (for netatalk)
To: Vic Kelson <vkelson@kiva.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 08/24/1998 21:12:54
		David/absolute

                 -=-  "You can have my absence of faith"  -=-

On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Vic Kelson wrote:

> Greetings, all!
>    I am attempting to build an hp300 kernel with netatalk support
> (networking for sharing my Laserjet with my wife's Mac).  I downloaded
> syssrc.tgz, config.tgz and sys.tar.tgz as described in the NetBSD FAQ.
> Alas, it doesn't work on my 380SRX, NetBSD 1.3.2.
>    I first tried unzipping the syssrc.tgz, modifying a copy of the
> GENERIC file as described in the FAQ and then running 'config'.  It
> fails, with a series of errors for all the filesystem types, then dies,
> saying at least one filesystem must be specified.

	Could you copy down the errors?
	One useful method is running 'script' before typing config,
	then 'exit' at the end - all output will have been copied
	into a file called 'typescript'.

	Did you use the files from
	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3.2/source/sets/
	(or a mirror thereof)

>    I also tried the 'current' sources from sys.tar.tgz.  This time,
> 'config' ran just fine, but the darn 'make' failed on a compiler error
> after an hour's time *grin*.  Alas, I figured I'd just done something
> wrong and didn't write the error message down; I figured that since it
> was the 'current' source I probably should've used the other sources.
> *sigh*.  And to think I managed HP-UX systems for five years before grad
> school...

	Yup - upgrading to -current is akin to riding the bleeding edge
	of technology at times - but you should be able to config a 1.3.2
	kernel without problems... Let us know what it reported!

>    ANYHOO, can anyone here give me advice on which sources to use, where
> to put them in the filesystem, how to build, and whether there is any
> experience with netatalk?  I'd sure appreciate any help!

	Did you use the FAQ at
	http://www.netbsd.org/FAQ/index.html#how_to_build_a_kernel
	or somewhere else?

>    THANKS in advance!  Sure is nice to have NetBSD -- my 380 is alive
> again!

	Welcome aboard :)