Subject: Any luck with rbootd from Linux to hp300s?
To: None <port-hp300@netbsd.org>
From: Vic Kelson <vkelson@kiva.net>
List: port-hp300
Date: 08/24/1998 18:46:09
Hi!
   I have a 380SRX running NetBSD 1.3.2.  Here's how I got it going: the
system had a 'minimal' HP-UX 8.0 installation when the machine was given
to me.  It has three 7959B disks and one 7957, plus a 16-track tape
autochanger.  I couldn't get the tape written, but I have a Pentium
running Linux.  I downloaded the installation from ftp.netbsd.org, then
set up NFS on the Linux box and used HP-UX to 'dd' SYS_INST onto the
7957.  Rebooted the system into SYS_INST from the 7957, and it was
alive!  This technique is not listed in the installation notes, but it
works well and might be a way out for others.  After that, the miniroot
setup and NFS install went smoothly.
   Now, I am gaining confidence in NetBSD.  It has run stably for 24
hours a day, four days, no problem.  I run X with xdm, network to other
machines, even with Samba (my PC usually runs NT for professional
software development, alas!).  No problem, NetBSD is nice.  So, I'm up
to the point where booting HP-UX is as much of a nuisance as booting NT
<grin>, and I'd just as soon give the 7959B that has HP-UX the old
wipe-a-roo.  Should I?  I figure that if I set up Linux with rbootd, I
can always recover.  Trouble is, I haven't been able to make it work.
I'm presently running S.u.S.E. 5.2, so it's a current kernel.  Any
advice?
   Or should I just put NetBSD on my PC as well?  Fact is, I have a lot
of nice stuff running in Linux and I like it.  If I could be sure I can
get NetBSD running as nicely as Linux, I might switch over...
   Any help will be MUCH appreciated.  THANKS for your time, and for
NetBSD!
   Vic Kelson