Subject: kernel build (for netatalk)
To: None <port-hp300@netbsd.org>
From: Vic Kelson <vkelson@kiva.net>
List: port-hp300
Date: 08/24/1998 18:35:59
Greetings, all!
   I am attempting to build an hp300 kernel with netatalk support
(networking for sharing my Laserjet with my wife's Mac).  I downloaded
syssrc.tgz, config.tgz and sys.tar.tgz as described in the NetBSD FAQ.
Alas, it doesn't work on my 380SRX, NetBSD 1.3.2.
   I first tried unzipping the syssrc.tgz, modifying a copy of the
GENERIC file as described in the FAQ and then running 'config'.  It
fails, with a series of errors for all the filesystem types, then dies,
saying at least one filesystem must be specified.
   I also tried the 'current' sources from sys.tar.tgz.  This time,
'config' ran just fine, but the darn 'make' failed on a compiler error
after an hour's time *grin*.  Alas, I figured I'd just done something
wrong and didn't write the error message down; I figured that since it
was the 'current' source I probably should've used the other sources.
*sigh*.  And to think I managed HP-UX systems for five years before grad
school...
   ANYHOO, can anyone here give me advice on which sources to use, where
to put them in the filesystem, how to build, and whether there is any
experience with netatalk?  I'd sure appreciate any help!
   By the way, I have a couple extra hp300 keyboards, blank 32-track
tapes and at least one HP-HIL digitizing tablet.  Any interest out
there?  The tablet works GREAT with Xhpux and NetBSD 1.3.2 on my
380SRX.  I used xfig to make figures from hand-drawn sketches for my
thesis, using metafont and LaTeX.  Nea-to!
   THANKS in advance!  Sure is nice to have NetBSD -- my 380 is alive
again!
   Vic Kelson