Subject: Booting a Apollo 425
To: None <port-hp300@netbsd.org>
From: Per Nielsen <pkn@ostenfeld.dk>
List: port-hp300
Date: 08/23/1998 23:15:05
Hi.

Last night i bumped into my HP 425, and I thought 'why not make it work'.
And then i began setting up my NetBSD (running on a A4000) to act as a NFS
server.

So far so good. The HP finds the boot file, and thats that. The screen
turns black.
I think I remember something about the 425 using a seriel port as console.
Is that true ? If not, what do I do wrong ?

And due to a harddisk crash (on my mac) a lost all of the letters from this
list. If I'm not mistaking there were som letters about using a standard
SCSI drive with the HP's.
So now I have connected a Quantum Prodrive LPS to the SCSI bus. But in the
system check it makes an error  when trying to check the SCSI drives.

At system start is says:

BOOTROM Rev. 3.0 11 APR 91
MD11 Dev 3.0 1991/03/25.17:03:08
Bit Mapped Video
MC68040 Processor
Configuration EEPROM
Utility Chip at 41
HP-HIL.Keyboard
DMA-C0
RAM 16776874 Bytes
Digital Audio at 8
HP PARALLEL at 12
HP98658 (SCSI S 32) at 16
                register test failed
HP98643 (LAN) at 21, AUI, 08000921D34B
EVRX at SGC slot 0 (Console)

and then it boots the bootfile from my amiga.

The SCSI drive is at id:0

On the lid it says:

Model : 425E
Product ID number : A1499XA
Product number : A2139A
Product option : ANB AL9
NODE-ID number : 04D492

If it's possible to partion the disk, and install the system and bootblock
using my Amiga, that would be just fine. But then I'll need some
instructions on how to do that.

PKN   :-)