Subject: Re: ? modem
From: Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
List: port-hp300
Date: 08/22/1998 12:20:40
Laurentiu COCEA <cocea@ceylan.necker.fr> probably said:
> 7.3 : TCP/IP in the *BSD FAQ but I can't figure out how to connect my
> Global Village Teleport Platinum modem, which came with a cable
> compatible with an Apple serial port connector, to the hp340 RS232
> connector (actually, I don't even know whether it's possible to do this
> or not).

I assume the modem has a DB-25 on it, you need a serial cable of the
right type.
You should also be aware that some of the older machines (like my 370)
dont have standard (PC standard, that is) DB9 pinouts on the back of
the machine, see:
http://www.mindspring.com/~rossspon/db9info.htm
for more information about that.

First, get the serial connection correct and attatch the modem, then
use a comms program of your choice (I tend to use kermit, but thats mostly
because I've always used kermit :) and check (typing ATZ is a good first
test) you can talk to it.

Once you can talk to the modem, you look at ppp.
NetBSD has a ppp daemon: man pppd. This isn't a program I've used
(my gateway machine at home is a FreeBSD box runnig iijppp) but
the man page ought to be able to help some.
I'm suprised there isn't anything about this in the general NetBSD FAQ.

There is actually some info about ppp on *BSD in the *BSD handbook.
http://cynjut.neonramp.com/complete.faq.html#7.2

HTH.
P.

--