Subject: Re: le0: lost carrier?
To: Jorgen Pehrson <jp@spektr.ludvika.se>
From: Trevor Schroeder <tschroed@acm.org>
List: port-hp300
Date: 08/20/1998 10:49:41
On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Jorgen Pehrson wrote:

> maybe this is something that is solved in later versions of NetBSD but
> I'll ask anyway. I'm getting lots of "le0: carrier lost" messages on the
> console on my NetBSD machines. What can I do to correct it? I'm getting
> these on all of my machines except on the i386.

I only get that if I remove the patch cord from my 10baseT tranceiver.
However, and I may be wrong (I can't check as my machine is aobut 110 miles
away right now), you may get it if you simply have the AUI port unterminated.

You DEC should have come with an AUI terminator.

> And if I try to ping the machine when there's heavy load on the net,
> it looses a lot of packets. The i386 machine on the same segment works ok
> regardless of the network traffic.

Hmmm..you might try, if you can, isolating these guys on the other side of a
router or swtich.  It sounds like they're just getting hammered by traffic and
can't keep up, but that's just a hypothesis.
/ Trevor Schroeder                   tschroed@inventivecomm.com /
/ -=Inventive Communications=- Reach Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime  /
/         Voice: (402) 375-4337   FAX:  (402) 375-5310          /
/__________________http://www.inventivecomm.com/________________/