Subject: AW: HP-IB printers
From: Michael Lorenz <ml@wisent.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 08/20/1998 10:43:18
Greetings !

Has anyone tried to use HP-IB printers with NetBSD 132/hp300? In the
installation notes one can read that if it's not on the list [of
supported hardware] then it's not supported in this [last] release. But
I have a HP-IB Bering 5600 magneto-optical disk that is not on the list
and which works, so I thought that maybe somebody discovered how to
print on HP-IB printers.

OK, you MAY have success with the following: compile a evice called ppi =
( parallel printer interface ) into your kernel, hardwired to - maybe - =
hpib0/id5. Printers will not be detected on startup but with the ppi =
driver you can send data to a printer on the hpib-id compiled into your =
kernel. But beware, it's slow and may slow down or lock up your machine =
when the printer tries to report error conditions and so on, so don't =
try it when compiling a kernel...

sending raw data to my thinkjet works but lpd locks up...

then in is only useful for text output since the hpib-thinkjets only =
understand their HP-codes ( not PCL... ) and if you think you can access =
it via network from a NT box which comes with a thinkjet driver - forget =
it, this driver uses the epson emulation found in parallel and serial =
thinkjets...

bye
Michael