Subject: Re: rbootd, solaris and booting an hp370
To: Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
From: YAMAMORI Takenori <yamamori@kt.rim.or.jp>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/18/1998 01:13:35
>Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
>
>No joy with Solaris rbootd: my research indicates you'd either need to
>use the SYSV (?) streams stuff: dlpi to access the network devices
>(which HP-UX had in some of its incarnations, but not by default in the
>ones that could boot hp300s) or port it to use libpcap and work from
>Linux's rbootd ... but I found some info in the OpenBSD hp300 list archive
>to say this wasn't trivial because libpcap had no way to write to the
>network. I havn't looked at how Linux's rboot write to the net, I don't
>have a linux box.
>
>I do, however, have a happier hp370 booting SYS_INST from the net :)

SunOS4's NIT (not BPF) version of rbootd (sun-rbootd) is in my web page
  http://www.tt.rim.or.jp/~yamamori/sun/sun-rbootd.tar.gz

Solaris2's DLPI is somewhat similar to SunOS4's NIT.
So, porting rbootd to Solaris2 may be easy. (?)

This is updated version from I previously posted in this ML.
(no need additional files)

And ..
  I made some changes on this sun-rbootd as follows:
    * not use /etc/rbootd.conf but use /etc/ethers (or NIS ethers map)
    * put SYS_UBOOT on /tftpboot instead of /usr/mdec/rbootd,
      and symlink to C0A8XXXX if client IP is 192.168.xx.xx.
      (like Sun's rarp/tftp)

--
I can boot HP300/345 from net by sun-rbootd on SunOS4's NIT.

YAMAMORI Takenori  yamamori@kt.rim.or.jp