Subject: rbootd, solaris and booting an hp370
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/14/1998 14:01:04
According to the archives, this has been asked before with no resolution,
so I'm trying too :)

I've got a 370 I'm trying to put NetBSD on. I have an external scsi
disk with hp-sux 7 on (which appears to boot happily), and a HP-IB tape drive.
This is my first foray into HP unix boxes.

I've managed (after looking at a few FAQs) to get it on serial console
and construct a cable to work with the non-standard female DB-9 port on
the back of the box (I don't have a HP monitor, but my Viewsonic GT755
worked quite happily on it via a three BNC cable).
I'd like to be able to completely network boot the box in case something
goes haywire later, but where it will live to be useful I only have
Solaris boxes.

What would be perfect is a Solaris version of rbootd, but I don't seem to
be able to find one (some muttering about it on netbsd and openbsd mailing
lists, but thats about it).

Assuming there isn't an rbootd for Solaris, and I manage to get the boot
program onto tape, can I choose (remotely) if it should boot from tape
or disk or do I have to toggle dip switches on a box that old ?

Can someone who knows more about hp-ux tell me command and options to
get the boot program onto tape and make it bootable ?
I've managed to get it up on a bit of secure private net and NFS mount
something, so I can get the file there.

Thanks,
P.

--