Subject: Re: Kernel compilation help needed
To: Andreas Stenmark <stenmark@lysator.liu.se>
From: Martin Lucina <mato@kotelna.sk>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/03/1998 15:34:38
Andreas Stenmark (stenmark@lysator.liu.se) wrote :

> I have been struggling for quite a while to get NetBSD to work on
> a few 425E's, to no avail -- the problem being the unsupported gfx
> adapter. I would use a remote console, but I can't get it to work
> with the ROM's in HP-UX mode. (For some odd reason it works when in
> Domain OS mode)  I'm starting to give up on being able to put the
> ROM's into remote console mode, and I'm thinking that a custom
> kernel with the console hardcoded to the first serial port might

Well, when I was installing NetBSD on my 400t with no HIL keyboard, I found
that the easiest way to get things to work was to remove the graphics adapter
and then the NetBSD bootblocks and kernel automagically used the remote
console. No recompilation needed. The HP bootrom didn't seem to notice or
care but it worked well enough to get the sys up and running.

Martin