Subject: Re: SCSI/disklabel questions
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeffrey D. McMahill <jma7+@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/29/1998 14:27:45
> OK, NetBSD 1.2 and later don't recognize the nhpib or fhpib bus on my 400,
> when they're configured into the kernel.  Therefore the kernel doesn't
> recognize any hpib hard drives or tape drives I have attached.  When the
> kernel loads, it just skips over that part.

I ran into this too, on my 400t (with 1.3).  I believe the problem was because
it thought there was a dca1 at scode 7, which is where nhpib0 is supposed
to be.  So commenting out the "dca*" line from the GENERIC kernel
caused nhpib0 to show up:

 dca0            at dio? scode 9 flags 1 # DCA serial interfaces
# dca*            at dio? scode ?
 nhpib0          at dio? scode 7         # slow internal HP-IB

I don't know why its probing incorrectly, and I suppose that is the
real problem that should be looked into...

Speaking of HPIB...
The reason I was messing with that in the first place was to try to
connect various HP and Tektronix test equipment (Logic Analyzers, etc.)
As far as I can tell, there is no way to probe for these devices,
other than sending a (device specific) code, and looking for the correct
response.  This is less than ideal, if for example, you have an HPIB
printer hooked up as well (so it would print "ID?" every time you rebooted).

So anyway, it seems like some kind of generic tty like interface would
be useful, something along the lines of:

hpibtty0   at hpibbus? slave 2 punit 0   # generic hpib device, unit 2
hpibtty*   at hpibbus? slave ? punit ?   # match anything not matched by other
                                         # hpib drivers

I'm not so sure about the last part, as that would end up with 16 (or is it 8?)
hpibtty's attached, if you have no hpib disks or tapes.
Is there a better way to do this?

Any comments on the general idea?

Thanks,

   -Jeff