Subject: Re: Serial Console Switch on HP9000/360
To: Matthew N. Dodd <winter@jurai.net>
From: Ian Clark <ic@deakin.edu.au>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/23/1998 21:44:14
On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:

> I've got a cute little 360 but no keyboard or monitor.
>
> My research indicates that this unit has a dip switch to enable serial
> console (others required frobbing via the graphics console to make the
> switch.)
>
> Does anyone have the dip switch information I need to enable the serial
> console?

My hp notes say that the dip switch settings are:
SC (HP IB) 			1*=system controller
				0=not system controller

DIS (DISPLAY ENABLE) 		1=disabled
				0*=enabled

REM (REMOTER TERM ENABLE) 	0*=local mode
				1=remote mode

EN (RS232 Conrol line defeat) 	0=ctrl lines defeated
				1*=control lines defeated!
				Hmm a typo..

*=default.

To enable the remote console you should only need to set the remote mode.
If you have more than 1 serial port with remote set (maybe on a 4 channel
card), the one with the lowest select code is selected. (Well thats what
the book says...)

V TWINS: the only practical alternitive to the single :- Phil Irving

21 Year old Moto Morini, 16 year old Moto Guzzi, 23 year old car -
So what's the fuss about a couple of 10 year old workstations?

Ian Clark VK3KRI        ic@deakin.edu.au      http://www.deakin.edu.au/~ic/