Subject: RE: Problems getting netbooting working.
To: Mike Begley <squonk@drizzle.net>
From: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/27/1998 01:24:06
> The client is able to find the server, and the two negotiate to the point
> where the NetBSD kernel is loaded on the client and starting up, and then,
> boom, I get a repetition of:
>
> RPC timeout for server 0xcebfb245
>
> and it goes no further (rather, it loops forever on that message).

Is portmap running? Try rpcinfo -p server  and see if nfsd is
registered on port 2049.

> 1:  I can't seem to NFS mount anything but whatever is the first line in
> /etc/mount.  Everything else gets a "permission denied" error, when I
> attempt to mount it.  This, of course, makes it difficult to mount the swap
> file.  Currently, I have the machine attepting to boot just the root
> filesystem.  Why is my NFS broken like this?

Check your /etc/exports. Mine looks like this, and I netboot a hp300
and a sparc of my i386 box.

/usr    -alldirs -maproot=root -noresvport ashpool tessier 3jane
/mnt    -alldirs -maproot=root -noresvport ashpool tessier 3jane

Also, make sure mountd is running with the '-n' flag so it wont
care about reserved ports (oh, did 1.1 have those?).

> 2: during boot, I get this error:
> bpf: can't add mcast addr (invalid arguement), setting promiscious mode
>
> bpf is being called (I presume) from rarpd, which is being started in
> netstart with no parameters.
>
> I'm really close here, but I can't get any further.  Have people seen these
> things before?  Is it all endemic to running version 1.1?

I've never seen 1.1...

Hmm, if your kernel is booting, that means rarpd and bootparamd worked
correctly.

        Good luck,

                Nate