Subject: Re: hp300 netboot NFS error
To: None <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU>
From: Wes Brown <wes@prozac.eeap.cwru.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/22/1998 08:08:33
> > tessier pulls down SYS_UBOOT no prob, grabs its bootparams, and
> > starts to load the kernel (stock). Watching a tcpdump, the
> > kernel transfer stop at about the 108th 'block.'
> >
> > 19:35:21.585206 tessier.108 > 3jane.nfs: 104 read [|nfs]
> > 19:35:21.586522 3jane.nfs > tessier.108: reply ok 1124 read [|nfs]
> > 19:35:29.566069 tessier.108 > 3jane.nfs: 104 read [|nfs]
> > 19:35:29.567436 3jane.nfs > tessier.108: reply ok 1124 read [|nfs]
> >
> > Then SYS_UBOOT complains
> >
> > boot: Input/output error.
>
> One lucky time, it actually loaded the kernel all the way. It proceded
> to boot, and everything worked okay. I have been unable to repeat
> the boot.
>
> SYS_UBOOT uses NFS/udp to xfer the kernel, right? It seemed after
> the kernel booted (watching tcpdump on the 2 hosts), NFS/tcp
> worked MUCH faster. I _think_ what I'm seeing is tessier
> making 4 read requests on the same block, then halting. If the
> nfs server (under almost zero load) responds with a packet before
> the 4th packet, everything is cool.
>
> The my netbooting SPARC ELC boots get the kernel a LOT faster
> (hp is 25mhz, ELC is 33mhz). The little spinning bar just zooms.
>
> I'm wondering if my le0 interface is failing. I checked the jumper
> on the inside, and have tried 10baseT and coax. The only thing
> thats really different about the 380 is last time, it had 32mb,
> this time only 16mb of RAM.
>
> Is there a way I can check the le0 interface using rbootd? Possibly
> put together some sort of package that it can download and run
> a hardware check?
>
>         thanx in advance,
>
>                 Nathan

This looks very similar to the problems I was having boot strapping my box.
I solved the problem by putting the to machines on a very simple network.
All there was was two boxes.  My HP and the Linux box I was booting off of.
The HP never seemed to get all of its boot information because the
building's network had more traffic than it could deal with.

Wes
---
Wes Brown
ewb4@po.cwru.edu		wes@prozac.cwru.edu