Subject: Re: hp300 netboot NFS error
To: Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
From: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/20/1998 23:24:38
>> I'm netbooting a hp380 w/ NetBSD 1.3.1 off my NetBSD 1.3 i386 box.
>> hp380 = tessier
>> sparc = ashpool
>> i386  = 3jane
>>
> Have you tried changing 3jane's name to something not beginning with
> a digit?  Some address evaluation code can't handle it because it
> assumes that anything beginning with a digit is an IP address.

I changed the hostname of 3jane in the bootparams file to 'poop.'
(and in /etc/hosts). But the same thing happened - it stopped on the
108th block of NFS traffic.

> Though technically allowed in a by RFC822, RFC1035 specifically disallows
> domain name components beginning with anything other than a alphabetic
> character. (in 2.3.1).

Interesting. This could be why some NT boxes cant send mail BACK to my
machine. I've never had a problem between Solaris, 3 ports of NetBSD,
and other w95 machines. Sigh, and I like the name so...

        Nathan