Subject: Re: system manual ?
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw34@cornell.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/16/1998 22:51:33
At 10:26 PM -0400 4/16/98, you wrote:

:)	Ia there a NetBSD system manual available somewhere? I am looking for
:)	something that details how to build a new ernel, and othe misc. tasks.

Now, wouldn't *that* be nice.  Took me a while to figure out how to build a
kernal and get it running.  Well, at least for older versions of NetBSD --
I can't seem to get a working 1.3 kernal and no one has mailed me back
about my problem (hang during autoconf).

Here's the basic steps:

Download the system sources:
ftp ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3/source/sets/syssrc.tgz

cd /sys/arch/hp300/conf/
cp GENERIC <config_name>

modify this config file to your preferences (by uncommenting unnecessary
stuff and adding new features, like netatalk support)

config <config_name>

cd ../compile/<config_name>

make depend;make

Wait until it's done (~45 minutes on a 425s, ~3 hours on a 360).
Then copy the file named netbsd to /netbsd-<config_name>

This way, you won't overwrite a working kernal.  Next time you boot the
machine, after SYS_UBOOT loads, type in:
/netbsd-<config_name>
at the prompt so that it loads that kernal instead of the one named netbsd.

Then make sure everything works (top, ps, and other programs that access
the kernal file won't work since they assume the currently running kernal
is called /netbsd).

Happy compiling,
  -- MW