Subject: loading miniroot over NFS
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Nixon <djn@csc.liv.ac.uk>
List: port-hp300
Date: 02/19/1998 13:11:13
Got no help from the netbsd-help list with this, but maybe someone
here knows what goes on with a Rev. 1.7 HP300 series Miniroot installer.

 After booting SYS_INST across the network on an HP-345 and then asking
to download a miniroot file system over NFS, I get a hang at the point
where the install guide suggests making a cup of coffee.

sys_inst> miniroot

Server IP address?   <NFS server addr>
Server Path? /netbsd
WARNING: bad date in battery clock

... hangs until system is reset

  The NFS server is on the same sub-net as the HP-345, but it never sees
any mount requests for "/netbsd". The netmask is correct and I have tried
specifying the HP345 as the router, or using other machines on the sub-net,
or not supplying a router address, but it makes no difference. Listening
with "tcpdump" for packets from the HP-345 gives

arp who-has <NFS server>  tell  <HP-345>

... but nothing further.

Can anyone suggest a reason for the hang or describe what should happen.

Thanks,
         David Nixon -- University of Liverpool, Computer Science